[lbo-talk] TV without TiVo (in which lbo-talk defends 'the sopranos')

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Wed Oct 6 11:10:44 PDT 2004

The Sopranos is on HBO, so it doesn't have commercial interruptions, but in general I guess (pure conjecture) folks who otherwise don't watch TV can become *extremely* attached to those shows they do watch. My HSO's retired father (former Eng. Prof) only watches The Sopranos and some sporting events on TV; no TiVO, no interest in examining other lauded TV series now available on DVD. His lack of knowledge of TV history hasn't prevented him from declaring The Sopranos the greatest show in the history of the medium. He's similarly ignorant about movies, and claims the Godfather trilogy is the greatest cinematic achievement ever.

So, based on a sample of one, I don't think you need TiVO to mouth off in a definitive tone about television.

Curtiss, who when he was into *some* comic books used to believe fervently that _Love and Rockets_ by the Hernandez Bros. was the apex of the medium, and this despite never having read a classic Marvel comic.