[lbo-talk] Re: in which lbo-talk defends 'the sopranos'

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 6 15:28:14 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Joanna writes:

> I'd go one further and say that the "greatest pleasure" is something
that goes beyond pleasure, beyond the pleasure/pain/numb complex of feeling. This state, which is beyond pleasure/pain is referred to by many as joy and it is asserted that it is not rooted in any kind of prejudiced subjectivity but in a certain quality of awareness.

and Ian responds:

> And go further still 'beyond' the joy/nonjoy beyond/within complex to
explore-create yet different awareness of-attentiveness to paradox-participation-performance........

> Dynamics are more interesting than state[s].

As much as talking about art, these could also be descriptions of BDSM interactions -- very accurate ones as a matter of fact.

Charles writes:

> There has to be a division of labor in this knowledge business. We have to
be able to rely on others to share observations that we aren't going to make. That's the human thing. We have many experiences way beyond our direct, individual experience because we share the direct observational experiences of others. I don't think this is as trivial as it may seem on the surface.

But Charles, wouldn't this mean that you would have to rely on kinksters and queers experience of oppression to have any knowledge of it since being a queer or a kinkster or a queer kinkster is way beyond your direct, individual experience? Just as you rely on het women to inform you about their sexuality, don't you also have to rely on the word of kinksters and queers?

As for the quality of premium cable:

Without HBO, there would have been no Oz, no Angels in America, no Elephant, no Wit, no Lumumba, no The Lamarie Project. I am skipping all the documentaries HBO has funded/funds (http://www.hbo.com/docs/recent/) and the opportunities for black actors, directors and producers.

It may be fashionable in certain circles to be snooty about tv, but HBO has produced a great amount of work that is of interest to the left.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister