[lbo-talk] U.S. religious ID: "none" makes a big gain

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 8 15:59:39 PDT 2004

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>On the downside, if American workers are secular in practice
>>(whatever religion they identify with), that's probably because they
>>don't have much free time in any case, and, for what little free
>>time they do have, they barely have enough energy left to do
>>anything except zone out in front of a television
>
>According to a survey released by Gallup earlier in the week,
>compared to Canadians & Brits, Americans don't profess to be too
>unhappy about their work burdens (though, of course, the socially
>desirable answer is to say just that).
>
>Doug

One way one can minimize unhappiness is to lower expectations, so there will be a smaller gap between what you want or what you think you deserve on one hand and what you get on the other hand. My hypothesis is that American workers have lower expectations -- about work, leisure, income, etc. -- than their Canadian and British counterparts. US leftists -- especially those who play roles in cultural politics -- should try to raise American expectations. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>