Gleeful Evil (Was RE: [lbo-talk] Avoiding Bad Taste)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 9 10:30:18 PDT 2004

Well, I defend these scumbags too. Though at my level I don't talk to them, the partners do. I think they don't think about what they do, they couldn't do that and live with themselves.

And most rightwingers do not think of themserlves as doiung evil for their own good. I know that Judge Posner genuinely thinks that more or less unbridled free markets are really better for everyone, and that inequality is not a problem because it mostly reflects personal inadequacies of the less well off. He really thinks that. I'm not speculating, I know Judge Posner and he's told me these things, and I have no reason to think he's lying to me about what he thinks.

Hell, even the commandants of the Nazi death camps -- and I don't put Judge Posner, whom I like and respect, into that lot, just to be clear -- even they were mostly not gleeful about what they did. There's a great but horrifying book called Into That Darkness by a Hungarian-English journalist named Gitta Serelny, interviewed Franz Stangel, who was commandant of Treblinka, Sobibor, and before that head of the t-4 euthansia program. He did'd cackle manically as he had Jews and the disabled shuffled off to the gas chambers, he viewed it as sort of a job, something necessary but distasteful.

There were a few cartoon Nazis with shrieky voices and psychopathic sadistic (sorry, Brian) mentalities, but as Hannah Arendt emphasized, most of those people were fairly dull. Corporate execs and big time law partbers may be assholes, but they don't mainly exult in evil.

So, you and I just disagree. But I think Chomsky agrees with me. Anyway, this has probably played its course.

jks