[lbo-talk] Derrida and Habermas for a Common European Foreign Policy

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 9 11:28:31 PDT 2004

>[lbo-talk] Derrida dead
>Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
>Sat Oct 9 09:20:11 PDT 2004
<snip>
>uvj at vsnl.com wrote:
>
>>What did Derrida really mean when called for a new international in
>>the Spectres of Marx?
>
>I have no idea. I couldn't make much sense of that book.
>
>Doug

In response to the US invasion of Iraq and divided European responses (divided by conflicts among European governments and between each government and the people under it) to it, Jacques Derrida co-authored with Jürgen Habermas an article arguing for a common European foreign policy that acts as "a counterweight to the hegemonic unilateralism of the United States" and for a common European identity, i.e. "the awareness of a common political destiny, allied with the convincing prospect of a common future," which "can dissuade nations or the marginalized groups from seeking to obstruct the majority" -- made concrete in "[t]he pacification of class struggles by the social state and the self-limitation of the sovereignty of states within the framework of the European Union" (Jürgen Habermas and Jacques Derrida, "Europe: Plea for a Common Foreign Policy," translated from German by Christian Bouchindhomme, <http://watch.windsofchange.net/themes_63.htm>).

In German: "Nach dem Krieg: Die Wiedergeburt Europas," Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, May 31, 2003, <http://www.faz.net/s/Rub117C535CDF414415BB243B181B8B60AE/Doc~ECBE3F8FCE2D049AE808A3C8DBD3B2763~ATpl~Ecommon~Scontent.html>.

In French: "Europe: Plaidoyer pour une Politique Extérieure Commune," La Libération, May 31, 2003, <http://www.jean-jaures.org/NL/109/habermas.pdf>.

I don't know if that's the new international that Derrida had in mind in _The Specters of Marx_ (Routledge, 1994). At least, what the 2003 article seeks to promote is clearer than _The Specters. . . _. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>