[lbo-talk] Age

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sat Oct 9 14:04:44 PDT 2004

Intricacy is not necessarily a virtue: I love Louie Louie & House of the Rising Sun & James Brown, etc. When you're dancing, intricacy gives you a little more to work with, that's all. But even "simple" songs...or maybe especially simple musical lines represent a lot of cultural working through. The "simplicity" is deceptive. This is the way that Mozart's music gets simpler and simpler as he goes along, but also deeper. "Magic Flute" is a relatively late composition and the product of a second innocence.

Joanna