[lbo-talk] Al-Qaeda agents in Russia's Caucasus: FSB chief

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 9 18:56:38 PDT 2004

Chris Doss wrote:

>I think Westerners tend to romanticize secessionists.
>In my experience, in the modern world, they are
>usually pretty unsavory ultranationalists. I thought
>"the Left" was supposed to be cosmopolitan and
>believed in peaceful resolution to conflict issues.
>Why do they seem to support crude tribalism in so many
>instances?

Doug Henwood responded: Because a lot of them have despaired of any serious political transformation at home, and so live out their revolutionary fantasies by identifying with the violent struggles of secessionists. It's a more "radical" version of Hollywood liberals' identification with the Dalai Lama. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ One of the Black Panthers, I believe it was Bobby Seale but I'm open for correction, put it bluntly when he said: "You white radicals like to pin pictures of molotov cocktails to the wall and jerk off to them".

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com