[lbo-talk] Al-Qaeda agents in Russia's Caucasus: FSB chief

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 9 19:21:00 PDT 2004

Cf. the cover of the NYRB after the Newark riots in '67 drawn by Tom Hayden. Hayden was talking w/ Andrew Kopkind when he drew a picture of a molotov cocktail. http://www.google.com/search?q=hayden+molotov+cocktail http://www.vdare.com/pb/guilty.htm

>... 'I had been fascinated by the simplicity and power of the Molotov cocktail during those days in Newark.' And he reveals that he provided the design sketch that the New York Review of Books made into its cover, a notorious high point in intellectual radical chic. It is hard to know what to make of this telling self-condemnation. Perhaps Hayden momentarily forgot that throwing Molotov cocktails is not an American sport.

Similarly, it is jarring to read Hayden's bald statement that the Red Family, the Berkeley commune he founded, was 'discovering' Kim Il Sung's official philosophy of juche (self-reliance) in 1970, when it took the doubtless-justified step of expelling him for 'male chauvinism'. -- Michael Pugliese