[lbo-talk] Al-Qaeda agents in Russia's Caucasus: FSB chief

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Mon Oct 11 08:38:05 PDT 2004

Chris Doss wrote:
> --- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Because a lot of them have despaired of any serious political
>> transformation at home, and so live out their revolutionary
>> fantasies by identifying with the violent struggles of
>> secessionists. It's a more "radical" version of Hollywood liberals'
>> identification with the Dalai Lama.
>
> I wonder how long they would actually survive in a place like
> Chechnya or Iraq. Probably annoy some mujahid gangster by bleating
> nonsense...

if you folks are done having fun at the expense of these strange leftists ;-), you should start addressing the particular issues themselves.

take for instance kashmir: i believe that the people of kashmir have a right to some strong form of autonomy, and perhaps also self-determination. irrespective of pakistan's actions, i believe the facts show that the govt of india has [almost consistently] acted unfairly towards kashmiris.

see my discussion on pen-l with ulhas joglekar: http://www.mail-archive.com/pen-l@galaxy.csuchico.edu/msg91530.html

the sort of ridicule you heap on fashionable leftists is quite similar to their treatment by the right... hence my fear of the mixed blessings of activists like arundhati roy. but at some point we need to examine the particulars of the issues themselves.

--ravi