[lbo-talk] nader and his detractors...

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 11 13:41:31 PDT 2004

One thing I've noticed among Nader detractors as I go about my business is the way they almost uniformly say the same thing. (I'm not referring to people on this list). Words such as 'egomaniac' are standard and many of these people - usually in the middle of a civil discussion about a related topic, at the mention of his name very suddely indulge in a paroxysm of anger against Nader (a kind of '2 minutes of hate') before reverting to their normally calm demeanor. I have found it disturbing that mention of the name 'Nader' triggers the same agitated response among legions of progressives and liberals that is usually lacking in any deep felt ideological or political principle. It is based purely on the idea that we should all fall in line behind Kerry and Nader is a spoiler. Rarely do I encounter someone who is against Nader running, but is able to articulate why without inordinate animus and without reciting the same old stale DLC talking points.

Joe W.