[lbo-talk] Nader and His Detractors/Kerry

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Tue Oct 12 17:17:41 PDT 2004

I'm not voting for Kerry (and I resisted doing that for quite a while) because I buy the idea that the left will turn on him on November 3 and somehow gain a toehold in making policies. Personally, I'm doing it because of the FDR gamble. FDR was elected on a promise to balance the budget, and wound up reacting to deepening trouble with quite a bit of decency and institutional progress, excluding, of course, his shameful imprisonment of Japanese-Americans and his inattention to the demands of African-Americans. I'm not saying Kerry is as likely to turn decent as FDR was, but at least it's an imaginable possibility, and world events are certainly unlikely to go down a smooth path.

I also think it's important to show the world that we won't tolerate Bush.

Personally, I don't think the left will regain strength until world events (war, economy, and/or ecology) force people to think things through. We should be preparing for those possibilities, not expecting access to Kerry. IMHO.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Joseph Wanzala Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 4:06 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Nader and His Detractors/Kerry

What the right would do were Kerry to win shows why he would have to be accomodative to the right, not to progressives. People seem to forget that Clinton spent eight years in office not under pressure from the left (he dealt with the left by cooptation and when that failed, saxophone lullabies did the trick), but from the right (to the extent they actually had to exert

any pressure). Remember the Contract On America and all that - that was 'Clintontime'. Kerry will 'suffer' the same fate, and again, instead of pressuring a Pres. Kerry, the left will be too busy defending him from 'the right'. So much for the ABB strategy of electing Kerry, then getting to work

keeping his feet to the fire.

Joe W.