[lbo-talk] run OS X on your Windows machine!

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Wed Oct 13 12:59:05 PDT 2004

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> Doug posted:
>

> Now, for Your PC: Mac OS X
> By Leander Kahney
>
> A Hawaiian company specializing in streaming video claims to have
> developed a $50 software emulator that allows a Windows PC to run
> Apple Computer's Mac OS X.
>
> [...]
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,65323,00.html/wn_ascii
>

> =======
>

> A good idea (maybe) and I applaud their reverse engineering acumen but
> I think I'd rather just run FreeBSD (the kernel of OS X yes?) on the
> x86 platform and cut out the middleman. Apple's GUI is quite nice but
> its look and feel can be mostly duplicated by any other late model X
> windowing system (give or take a few tweaks and copyright
> infringements here and there).

I bought a used mac to run it. It didn't cost much more than $50 and probably runs it at about the same speed (G4/400). Kernel is netBSD - and "mostly duplicated" and "a few tweaks" are definitely understatements. There is a lot of depth to the integration of GUI and underlying operating system.

Owen