[lbo-talk] Re: Hard-drive search tool

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu Oct 14 14:36:24 PDT 2004

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> ``Funny you should mention this as I installed the applet on my lone Win32
> box not three hours ago...'' .d.
>
> ----------
>
> Speaking of hard drives, guess what I just did?
>
> I just typed `rm -R *' thinking I was in the ~/cgrimes/.netscape/cache
> directory---cleaning out web garbage.
>
> I was in my ~/cgrimes directory, just above it.
> <...>
>
> I realize this is imbecilic to ask, but is there any recovery
> available?

the chances are grim, but what OS are we talking? linux? if so, have you taken a look at:

http://recover.sourceforge.net/linux/

[the suggestion at the "unix way" link is pretty crude and will probably not work]

btw, i hope you are now using a different computer? that at least decreases the chances of the blocks that held your files getting overwritten.

--ravi