[lbo-talk] Fw: Bush bungles it again

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 17 12:17:17 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: Ted Welch To: NEWSROOM-L at LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 12:13 PM Subject: [NEWSROOM-L] Bush bungles it again

>Bush trips on military draft

18.10.2004 7.20 am

United States President George W. Bush surprised his listeners at a campaign rally by seeming to oppose, then favour, then oppose replacing the all-volunteer US military with a draft.

"Our all-volunteer Army will remain an all-volunteer Army," Bush began, to cheers from supporters in Florida.

"After standing on the stage, after the debates, I made it very plain we will not have an all-volunteer Army. And yet this week ... " he continued, before suddenly realising the gaffe [people in the crowd were correcting him] and shouting: "We will have an all-volunteer Army. Let me restate that: We will not have a draft ... The only person talking about a draft is my opponent. The only politicians that supported a draft are Democrats, and the best way to avoid a draft is to vote for me."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm? storyID=3601467&thesection=news&thesubsection=world

This was shown on BBC TV news but not on CNN.

Ted Welch

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com