[lbo-talk] Anyone see Jon Stewart on Crossfire?

Adam Souzis adamsz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 00:28:43 PDT 2004

well, from time immemorial, when people can't speak their minds it is the jester who speaks the truth. but now it's a little different: the political class has lost all moral authority so only satirists will turn people's heads. So you're right: his points have already been made in countless column inches before but few are moved. But when a "clown" unexpectedly removes his mask and emotionally speaks plain truths -- that's drama that grabs your attention.

this isn't only an american phenomenon: in mexico the most powerful political pundit literally is a foul-mouthed clown -- check out this article:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17320

not only is Bronzo the clown fascinating but the sordid soap opera of the rivals to the throne of the leftist PRD reminds me of the old cliche that truth is stranger than fiction

-- adam