[lbo-talk] RE: Mussolini in little Italy

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Tue Oct 19 06:23:16 PDT 2004

"James Heartfield" <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> said:

> Chris Doss asks about the reputation of despots in their own country,
> amongst whom 'Mussolini in Italy'?
>
> I can't speak for Italy, but on a visit to New York in 1980,
> I remember
> going to Little Italy, where pictures of Mussolini still hung in
> delicattessans (sp.?) and barbers' shops.

I grew up in the immigrant Italian community in New Haven, late 40s - mid 50s.

The father of my godmother, an old man then afflicted with palsy, would sit for hours on the porch, and every now and then shake his head sadly and say "Italia, she's-a no more. Mussolini, he's-a dead." Then he would

tap the porch floor with his cane for emphasis.

John