[lbo-talk] RE: Mussolini in little Italy

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 06:32:08 PDT 2004

--- "John K. Taber" <jktaber at tacni.net> wrote:

> The father of my godmother, an old man then
> afflicted with palsy, would
> sit for hours on the porch, and every now and then
> shake his head sadly
> and say "Italia, she's-a no more. Mussolini, he's-a
> dead." Then he would
>
> tap the porch floor with his cane for emphasis.
>
> John

Yeah, but what did it mean to him? Was he a fascist in the sense of buying all the ideology, or did it signify something else for him? (This is what I was trying to get at in a couple of previous posts.) My grandfather supported Hitler, and he wasn't even an anti-Semite, as far as I know -- as near as I can tell, it had to do with providing structure for his life (he came from a very, very abusive family, and I think the Hitlerjugend were kind of a escape for him).

Of course, on the Evil Dictator scale, somewhat like Mussolini (basically a run-of-the-mill military dictator with some futurist trappings) is in a whole other category than someone like Adolf "Kill! Kill!" Hitler.

===== Nu, zayats, pogodi!