[lbo-talk] Taxes and the Budget

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 20 06:32:37 PDT 2004

R rhisiart at charter.net, Tue Oct 19 19:00:29 PDT 2004:
>Kerry fails to convince middle classes his tax plans are good for them
>By Christopher Swann
>Published: October 19 2004 03:00
<snip>
>For many international observers, John Kerry's tax proposals seem
>like an easy sell - roll back the tax cuts on the richest 2 per cent
>to fund new tax breaks for the middle class.
>
>In the final two televised presidential debates the Democratic
>candidate once again tried to remind American voters that some 98
>per cent of them would be better off under his plans.
>
>But when Americans are asked whom they trust to handle tax policy,
>they consistently opt for George W. Bush over Mr Kerry. So what
>accounts for Mr Kerry's failure to persuade a majority of Americans
>that his tax plans would benefit them?
>
>Academics say part of the answer lies in widespread delusions among
>Americans about where they fit in the income pecking order, combined
>with a lack of knowledge of the tax system.
<snip>
>. . . [M]any Americans believe they are rich. In a US survey by Time
>Magazine in 2000, 19 per cent of respondents thought they were in
>the top 1 per cent of earners and another 19 per cent believed they
>would be one day.

Cut Middle-Class Taxes To Raise Middle-Class Incomes When John Kerry is president, middle-class taxes will go down. Ninety-eight percent of all Americans and 99 percent of American businesses will get a tax cut under the Kerry-Edwards plan.

Make Washington Live Within A Budget John Kerry will cut the deficit in half during his first four years in office. He will end corporate welfare as we know it, roll back the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, and impose a real cap to keep spending in check. And when John Kerry puts forward a new idea, he'll tell you how he's going to pay for it.

Invest In The Jobs Of Tomorrow Today, businesses are harnessing new technology to manufacture energy-efficient cars, high-grade steel, advanced plastics and other new products. And this requires a bigger, skilled labor force to make them. John Kerry and John Edwards believe we should invest in these jobs and invest in the people who will fill them.

<http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/economy/></blockquote>

Max Sawicky: "Basic difference on the budget: Kerry's numbers don't quite add up. Bush's numbers aren't meant to add up" ("PSSST! . . . FLU SHOT?" October 14, 2004, <http://maxspeak.org/mt/archives/000849.html>). -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>