[lbo-talk] geheimstadt politza

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Thu Oct 21 09:33:30 PDT 2004

On Oct 21, 2004, at 11:52 AM, Joseph Wanzala wrote:

> Homeland Security in German is “geheimstadt politza,” which during
> World War II was abbreviated to Gestapo. Do Americans really believe a
> “Gestapo” will make us safer?

That's "Geheimstaatspolizei" (literally, "secret state police"). And if you think today's Homeland Security Department is a Gestapo, what will you call the real one when it comes along?

(BTW, last Thurs-Sun I was in Toronto for a conference, and I can attest that getting from the Land of the Free into the Land of Suspicious Drugs (But Good Flu Vaccine) of the North was a hell of a lot easier than getting back into said LotF, even for an innocuous U.S. citizen.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ After the Buddha died, people still kept pointing to his shadow in a cave for centuries—an enormous, dreadful shadow. God is dead: but the way people are, there may be, for millennia, caves in which his shadow is still pointed to. — And we — we must still overcome his shadow! —Friedrich Nietzsche