[lbo-talk] Re: Class Action: The Million Worker March, October 17

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Thu Oct 21 15:39:12 PDT 2004

At 9:59 AM -0700 21/10/04, Michael Dawson wrote:

>The classes = 1. those who must work to survive (working class); 2.
>those who must work to sustain moderate to great personal comfort
>(middle class); 3. those for whom work is entirely optional and
>whose survival and extreme personal privilege are unrelated to their
>own work because of the scale of existing wealth (capitalists).

The distinction between 1 and 2 isn't a class difference though. The difference between the unemployed vagrant and the securely employed tradesman is as great or greater as that between the tradesman and the corporate manager.

Logically, 2. (middle class) is merely a subsection of 1. (working class.) Unless we abandon the notion that relationship to the means of production is anything to do with the case and substitute comparative comfort. But then 3. (capitalists) is merely a small, relatively more relaxed subsection of 2. (middle class) and there are still only two classes.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas