[lbo-talk] capitalism out of ideas?

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Fri Oct 22 10:42:47 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Doss" <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com>

> Yes, but that crisis has not- and will not do
> capitalism in. It can be
> solved by expansion into new markets - just think
> China, India, E Europe,
> Russia, and in the next round - Africa. So I am not
> holding my breath.
>
> Wojtek

What happens when all the markets get filled up?

Markets are not reducible to geographies/spaces. And we have barely begun to create cyberspace[s].

Imo, capitalism's problem [yes I'm reifying for a moment :-)] is that after spending decades stupefying and pacifying [along with killing] lots of people, it now needs a staggeringly large number of very smart people with immense science literacy/numeracy skills [without succumbing to scientism] in order to keep evolving new desires/effective demands. This implies, it seems to me, rather different vocabularies in the political economies of self-description/narration/explanation will be forthcoming in the decades ahead. To the extent that in the US and elsewhere religion still exerts cultural influences, the further commodification of the sciences and the products and services that will come in their wake, will proceed quite slowly. Immense cognitive scarcities must be overcome if we're not to fry/poison ourselves and the planet.

Ian