[lbo-talk] capitalism out of ideas?

John Kozak j_k_ at xylema.org
Fri Oct 22 14:46:27 PDT 2004

Dwayne Monroe writes: [...]

> Meanwhile, in the UK, workers drink to forget...

> from -

> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/22/brit_workers_drunk/ >

> Three-quarters of Brit workers drunk after lunch

> By Startups.co.uk (press.releases at theregister.co.uk)

> Published Friday 22nd October 2004 14:18 GMT

> An alarming 76 per cent of employees are coming back to work drunk after

> taking a "liquid lunch", according to a new survey carried out by

> Peninsula employment law constancy. The results show that an increasing

> number of employees are consuming alcohol during their lunch break - a

> trend that could harm the reputation and productivity of a business.

I find it hard to believe these numbers are representative, even allowing for the misleading presentation. A quick trawl through the Reg's archives turns up a number of Peninsula surveys each of which seem to show how ghastly one's employees probably are, and how badly one probably needs the services of an employment law consultancy.

jk