[lbo-talk] Virtually all Dems support Card Check Bill

R rhisiart at charter.net
Fri Oct 22 21:31:58 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gregory Geboski" <greg at mail.unionwebservices.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 8:50 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Virtually all Dems support Card Check Bill

| << now that union members generally
| vote republican unless confronted by shrub ... >>
|
| Not true. Last time I heard (about 5 months ago) 48% of white male union
members supported Bush
|(internal AFL-CIO data).

i wouldn't bet my house on internal AFL-CIO data, gregory. let's not forget the reagan democrat phenonmenon, and the years union "leaders" had such difficulty delivering membership votes for democrats, including women member voters and people of color. in fact, the republican got a lot of mileage complaining about how union "leaders" were donating union money to democrats against the will of union membership.

|This sounds pathetic until one realizes this makes union membership the
*only* large-scale class identifier |that puts white males anywere on the anti-Bush side. You can drill down to white males at the lowest |income levels, and they'll be majority pro-Bush.

| This is just white males. Union members who are women and people of color
are overwhelmingly pro-|Democrat.

while we're on the subject of democrat support for labor, unions and union members, i wonder what the democrats plan to do about the recent court ruling favoring the 21 percent salary roll back of US Air employees. here's a chance for the democrats to show how pro-labor they are. i can't wait.

NAFTA
| >is moving toward FTAA and "free trade" agreements abound; now that the
WTO
| >and IMF are calling the shots, privatizing the world economy into the
hands
| >of MNCs *violently* against unionization; now that union members
generally
| >vote republican unless confronted by shrub, "virtually all dems" are
"more
| >pro-labor" -- which actually means Pro-Union not pro-labor -- the dems
favor
| >a card check bill and are trying to masquerade as being more pro-labor
than
| >a generation ago, when they were hardly pro-labor at all.
| >
| >very heartening, nathan newman. what a gas.

| >|
| >| More evidence that the Democratic Party is more pro-labor than it was a
| >| generation ago. Where significant numbers of Dems once sided against
| >labor
| >| in many votes, virtually every single Democrat is supporting the
Employee
| >| Free Choice Act, the "card check" bill being pushed by the AFL-CIO.
| >|
| >| Notably, even the Democratic candidates in Oklahoma, Georgia and South
| >| Carolina are supporting the
| >| bill.
| >|
| >| -----------------------------------------------
| >|
| >| BNA Daily Labor Report
| >| Friday, October 22, 2004 Page A-4
| >|
| >| Virtually All Democratic Candidates
| >| Pledge to Co-Sponsor Card-Check Bill
| >|
| >| The AFL-CIO has garnered pledges from virtually all Democratic
candidates
| >| but from few Republicans to co-sponsor a bill (S. 1925, H.R. 3619) that
| >| proponents say would expedite the union organizing process.
| >|
| >|