[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

John Kozak j_k_ at xylema.org
Sat Oct 23 08:54:14 PDT 2004

[...]

Fate, tempted, replies with: http://macintouch.com/opener.html

> OS X almost never crashes, and if an individual program freezes or

> quits, everything else is undisturbed. And it's so pretty.

OSX isn't so bad, granted, though at the one place I've seen it used in earnest, a majority of techies and (surprisingly) users preferred the linux boxes: once you get beyond the prettiness, the quirkiness of the networking and so-so bang-for-buck argue against it a fair bit.

>If I want to, I can get down to the UNIX level, but why would I want

>to type command lines full of pipes and switches and parms and all

>that crap I'm happy to have left way behind?

Personally, I find it far more effective. De gustibus, and all that, but I don't think any of the current user-facing software is much cop; probably OSX is the best of a sorry bunch.

John