[lbo-talk] Bush Supporters Still Believe Iraq Had WMD

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 23 10:06:45 PDT 2004

Michael Pollak wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 snit snat quoted a PIPA study that said:
>
> > http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Pres_Election_04/html/new_10_21_04.html#1
> >
> > Bush Supporters Still Believe Iraq Had WMD or Major Program,
> > Supported al Qaeda
> >
> > Even after the final report of Charles Duelfer to Congress saying that
> > Iraq did not have a significant WMD program, 72% of Bush supporters
> > continue to believe that Iraq had actual WMD (47%) or a major program for
> > developing them (25%).
>
> This is a recurringly amazing chestnut. But what's really amazing is that
> that the portion holding these views has gone substantially *up in the past
> two months* -- when the refutations have been as total and official and well
> publicized as it is imaginable for them to be

Let's translate this into actuality. Roughly half the adult population votes. Roughly half of them ar Bush supporters. So what we have above is roughly 3/4 of 1/4 of the population. Why are you so concerned with them? This list reads more like the sports pages than a list devoted to political/cultural analysis. If our left fielder can get his average up just a few points; if we can fix that weakness at left defensive guard; if ...., then maybe we can ...."

Carrol