[lbo-talk] Bush Supporters Still Believe Iraq Had WMD

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Oct 23 10:29:19 PDT 2004

no, this is wrong. The PIPA report summary: "To a striking extent, majorities have believed that Iraq did have WMD or at least a major program for developing them, and that Iraq was providing substantial support to al Qaeda. With the reports of David Kay, the 9/11 Commission, the Senate Intelligence Committee, and most recently Charles Duelfer all refuting these beliefs, they have only modestly diminished, and are still held by approximately half of the public. "

This wasn't a poll only of people who are going to vote for either candidate but a poll of the entire population. 23% of _Kerry_ supporters believe that the Deufler report found that Iraq had WMD or a WMD program in the works.

30% of Kerry support believe that Saddam was in kahoots with Al Q.

7% of Kerry supports believe Iraq was in volved in 9/11. 20% believe that Iraq helped with the 9/11 attacks.

I'd say understanding how propaganda works (and especially when it works effectively) is imperative if we ever want to use agit-prop to our own advantage. I'm pretty sure Moore's very effective piece of propaganda wasn't the result of ignoring how the conservative spin machine works. In fact, I'd say his insistence on plowing through supposedly 'bad publicity' and shrugging it off (and actually using it purposefully to his own advantage) was something he picked up from watching the cons.

Finally, Carrol, some of us like watching the horse race and reading the sports page -- just like you like Milton and Pound. It's a hobby. This list is to talk about what's going on in our lives--with varying levels of analytical sophistication.

Sometimes, it's nice to have a teachers' lounge to go bitch in, you know? Maybe you have that at home--a place where you can bitch about the redick things you have to listen to with relatives and at work. A lot of us don't.

Kelley