[lbo-talk] who the FRICK came up with this crap

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sat Oct 23 23:15:56 PDT 2004

In California it pays to itemize because state taxes are very high -- and you get to deduct those. If you then add normal charitable contributions of a few thousand a year -- you're already ahead of the standard deduction. If you own your own house (which I don't) and you itemize, you can also write off all your interest payments.

The deduction for home office used to be much better. ...as did the deduction for medical expenses. But they do this stealth tax hike every year where they increase the threshhold above which you get to deduct. So, once upon a time, you could deduct all home office expenses, then only those that exceeded 2% of your income, then only those that exceeded 4% of your income.

Basically if you're a wage slave you pay. If you're capital you don't. That's why they call it Capitalism.

Joanna