[lbo-talk] Chatting with Gorby

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Sun Oct 24 14:20:10 PDT 2004

He's probably been asked and answered it already: In retrospect, was it a mistake for the Bolsheviks to have seized power in Russia in 1917, given the subsequent history of the USSR and its ignominious collapse ? Could industrialization, land reform, and the raising of the social and cultural standards of the Soviet peoples have been accomplished by the broader Menshevik-led coalition of forces which made the February Revolution, or was Bolshevism, which mutated into Stalinism, somehow "historically necessary" to modernize? I suspect his answer will be that the program of the Right Opposition under Bukharin could have done all this less painfully and on a more enduring basis, but maybe his position has evolved further over the past decade.

MG