[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!! and Idle question

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Oct 25 10:11:25 PDT 2004

On Oct 25, 2004, at 10:44 AM, T Fast wrote:

> Kerry and a MAC user..hmmm, you must come from a good home or be an
> artsy type of some sort.

Well, I do fool around with classical guitar -- another Kerry similarity! Holy smokes, I guess I'm damned to political hell for eternity (pulling the DP lever over and over, forever ...).

On Oct 25, 2004, at 11:25 AM, ravi wrote:

> the online manpages

Holy smokes, again! Those things are impenetrable!

> well, that's subjective, isnt it? honestly, i find the mac (powerbook,
> the bulbous desktop thing -- iMac?, the limited function iPod)
> aesthetically and functionally displeasing. as someone else pointed
> out,
> the no-frills design of some modern PCs is at least neutral. not to
> insult mac afficionados, but sometimes i wonder when they may realize
> that the emperor has no clothes ;-).

I don't think Doug was referring to the case. To me, at least, the aesthetic issue is not the that (Apple case designers do get a little too creative sometimes, perhaps) but the appearance of the desktop, which to me is much superior in the Mac to the Windows desktop. But again, that's all subjective.

On a slightly different question, On Oct 25, 2004, at 12:43 PM, joanna bujes wrote:

> Why can't they make the spy and spam protection and the
> security/firewall stuff just a configurable part of the operating
> system? I mean, I understand they couldn't anticipate everything, but
> now, it could actually be a differentiator....uh....if there were some
> competition in O/S land...uh

Mac OS X has a built-in (Unix) firewall that seems to work pretty well, though some people recommend getting a router in addition (though also there are apparently various kinds of routers, some of which would not help at all -- but I don't know much about this). In addition, of course, there just aren't any Mac spyware/spam problems to speak of, though this would change if it became as popular an OS as Windows :-).

Spam is an entirely different problem -- everybody gets it, since it's just e-mail. Since it's constantly evolving, I think that anti-spam software, frequently updated, will always be needed. Also, using an ISP with very good protection -- I get very little because most of it is caught by my ISP. Oddly enough, most of what gets through is the Nigerian generals' widows type of stuff -- I don't know why it can't catch that.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax