[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Mon Oct 25 23:34:19 PDT 2004

It was me who said we won't shop our way to a better world. And what I meant was that isolated individuals and even occasional boycotters will never possess the power to veto capitalism through the retail outlet.

I disagree with Carrol about his claim that shopping carries no inherent politics. It does, but it's simply a futile and massively indirect politics that isn't worth pursuing.

But I even more disagree with people who spend huge amounts of time using one kind of software or another because they think it is politically radical. It's a gesture, at most. And, as bad and theft-based as Microsoft is, we'd be very much better off if it, rather than the oil-auto-suburbs nexus were the main corporate enemy. Microsoft is a warm bunny compared to those fucking killers.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Carrol Cox Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 6:01 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

Someone spoke in opposition to shopping politics (or something like that), and someone else replied that the software at issue was free, so no shopping was involved.

I neither shop NOR consume (free or unfree) for political reasons except in the case of organized boycotts. My consumption as well as shopping is based on personal convenience alone.

Politics, for me, is coextensive with organizing collective action. Private shopping or consumption decisions have nothing to do with oganizing collective action, hence no political principle is involved.

Carrol