[lbo-talk] Re: Butler on Derrida

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 26 11:16:50 PDT 2004

jimi ayler wrote:

> yeah, i think "attacking" logocentrism -- or, like
> derrida, teasing out its influence over western
> socio-cultural imperatives

I would be interested in a Monarch Notes* type commentary on what Derrida meant by logocentrism. I don't see any use in your arguing with those whose objections are a priori -- i.e., their criticism of Derrida is tautological for them. I've read more of Butler, and find her more or less useless, but I've seen positive responses to Derrida from people I respect highly and would like to know a bit more about him. (Don't tell me to read him: as it is, there are at least 1000 books which one must absolutely read which I won't be able to read before senility sinks in.)

Carrol

*For those whose only experience with published 'cribs' is Cliff's Notes, Monarch Notes were a horse of a different color.