[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 26 11:23:05 PDT 2004

snit snat wrote:

>so, you're claiming that open source is actually some neophyte
>alternative economic system that will turn capitalism on its head?

And how broadly applicable is it? A lot of the New Economy madness generalized from the cyberworld to the larger world. Opwn source does a similar thing. Can it make microchips or potato chips? Stuff the microchips into boards, or put the potato chips on a plate for serving? Cut hair? Make scissors? Create ads for hairdressers? Etc.? I'd guess it's only a very small part of the economy that could be open sourced - software itself is about 2% of U.S. GDP.

Doug