[lbo-talk] Re: Butler on Derrida

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Oct 26 14:11:41 PDT 2004

Mike Dawson wrote:

> As to Derrida, I ask it again: What did he say that is so profound?

In "Of Grammatology", Derrida pointed out that the (national) sign and the (international) signifier not only diverge, but follow contradictory logics. That was a big step in the transition from the calcified structuralisms and existentialisms, and towards the multinational theory of Jameson and Bourdieu.

I like to think of Derrida as France's Nietzsche. Same punning, quicksilver jabs, the same concision, and always worth engaging.

-- DRR