[lbo-talk] Re: Butler on Derrida

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Tue Oct 26 15:16:07 PDT 2004

What is "the (international) signifier"? The world?

Derrida does not get the credit for explaining the clash between nationalism and humanity!

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Dennis Redmond Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 1:12 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Re: Butler on Derrida

Mike Dawson wrote:

> As to Derrida, I ask it again: What did he say that is so profound?

In "Of Grammatology", Derrida pointed out that the (national) sign and the (international) signifier not only diverge, but follow contradictory logics. That was a big step in the transition from the calcified structuralisms and existentialisms, and towards the multinational theory of Jameson and Bourdieu.

I like to think of Derrida as France's Nietzsche. Same punning, quicksilver jabs, the same concision, and always worth engaging.

-- DRR