[lbo-talk] Re: Butler on Derrida

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Wed Oct 27 11:46:51 PDT 2004

uvj at vsnl.com wrote:
> andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>
>>> After reading the book Wittgenstein's Poker, one is not tempted
>>> to read Wittegenstein.:)
>
>> I haven't read W's Poker, is it any good?
>
> No, I didn't like it. As far as I remember, it sets up a contest
> between W and Popper; whether that contest was real or imaginary I
> can't say. But I thought Popper certainly appears more convincing of
> the two.

its based on a real episode involving a popper lecture at cambridge, at the behest of russell, with W in the audience. whether W threatened popper with a poker (and what an interesting way to dispense with the old goat ;-) -- young goat at that time, probably!) etc is debatable, IIRC. i haven't read the book and do not plan to... W is an interesting and inspiring figure but i am afraid i would end up agreeing more with popper's philosophical positions.

jks, have you heard of the new tarski bio by the fefermans? cambridge says its not available till nov, but i see that amazon.com is selling it.

http://titles.cambridge.org/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521802407

i am no good at reading biographies, but its a feferman book and you (or others) may be interested!

--ravi