[lbo-talk] Re: Butler on Derrida

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Oct 27 11:01:47 PDT 2004

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> > After reading the book Wittgenstein's Poker, one is
> > not tempted to read Wittegenstein.:)

> I haven't read W's Poker, is it any good?

No, I didn't like it. As far as I remember, it sets up a contest between W and Popper; whether that contest was real or imaginary I can't say. But I thought Popper certainly appears more convincing of the two.

Then, there is a question of W's understanding of nazism and the European politics of 30s and 40s. Wittgensteins were among the richest family in Vienna and W's sisters were trapped in Vienna after Nazi coquest of Austria. W apparently saved them after paying a huge ransom to Nazis. His philosophy doesn't seem to have offered him any understanding of that period.

Ulhas