[lbo-talk] Eminem

Sean Johnson Andrews sean.andrews2 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 27 12:58:40 PDT 2004

> Are we against leadership?
>
> Doug

I am not really a player in this forum, but I think Doug Henwood asks a good question. Also, allowing for the history of hijacked revolutions, it seems strange to hear them denigrated as such. And unless we are only going to approve of revolutions that operate through a strictly non-hierarchical organization of equal affinity groups, it seems that leadership will ultimately be important to any social change.

That said, the video doesn't just reflect blindly following masses; each of the characters that we see is more or less compelled to join this movement because of an event that happens in their lives. The leader of the video may be speaking to or taking advantage of those material situations, but that he recognizes them at all is something new. Furthermore, it would be false for this very popular rapper to deny that he is in a leadership position: it is an objective fact for many of his fans. Whether he tells them to put women in trunks, invade the oval office, or play their role in the republic, he is in the position to lead and he should be aware of that and show an awareness for that responsibility by advocating something beneficial.

just my two cents, sean