[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 08:08:58 PDT 2004

Doug:

Who else could emulate it?

================

Anyone, if you expand the definition beyond software creation in general and operating systems specifically.

For example, Creative Commons attempts to fashion an alternative copyright universe, inspired, I think, by Open Source ideals.

<http://creativecommons.org/ >

Other examples are available. The old phrase, "information wants to be free" is the kernel from which all sorts of open source style efforts - both technical and non-technical - can be launched.

Wikipedia is also an Open Source inspired effort -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Indeed, even the Ansari X Prize, something I mention at the risk of ridicule, knowing the lack of enthusiasm for aerospace and space tech generally amongst many folks round these parts, is an example of opening space flight tech beyond closed sources.

http://www.xprize.org/

Others can cite more interesting examples I'm sure.

.d.