[lbo-talk] Eminem and fascism??

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 08:10:40 PDT 2004

Wojtek, just begging for an invite to your next cocktail party:

>Many people I've met love talking about celebrity
>figures, from movie stars to sports champions to
>famous literary and intellectual figures. In fact,
>discussing celebrities occupies most of their
>conversations. Just a few minutes ago a co-worker of
>mine came to my office all excited that Red Sox just
>won the world series.

Turn-ons: Spending rides on mass transit discussing suitably obscure literary and intellectual figures with others of similar levels of snobbishness (preferably foreign-born), if we drop world historical process and deign to discuss individuals at all.

Turns-offs: colleagues enthusing over a major US sporting event not 12 hours passed or other events not impacting how "I, or people I know live [our] everyday lives." People who look askance at my cartoon sociologist's contempt for popular culture as a regrettable epi-phenomenon, etc.