[lbo-talk] Re: Eminem and fascism??

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 28 08:37:12 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Wojtek writes:

> Why do people who proudly espouse an ideology whose
hallmarks are rationalism, historical materialism, and egalitarianism engage in celebrity cults?

Maybe because people do not live by rationality alone?

> In fact, discussing celebrities occupies most of their
conversations. Just a few minutes ago a co-worker of mine came to my office all excited that Red Sox just won the world series.

I do not beleive that celebrity cults and enjoyment of sports are the same thing. I think you are really asking two questions instead of one.

> Frankly, I find such conversations and excitement over artificially
staged events and personae extremely boring.

A theatre piece, an evening at the Philharmonic, an opera, a planned picnic in the park are all artificially staged events. Different people take pleasure from different things.

> Not only their outcome but even their taking or not taking place at
all have zero effect on the lives of most people, except perhaps those who either work for those events or bet money on them.

I do not think that the giving of pleasure has a "zero effect" in people's lives.

> Whether red Sox won or lost, what Hitchens said or did not say, or
what Eminem sings about the US elections does not change even the smallest thing in how I, or people I know live their everyday lives.

I think it is dangerous to take oneself as emblematic of all humanity. I am sure there are things that change your everyday life that do not even register for me.

> Therefore, I genuinely do not understand why people find these staged
events and personae so exiting.

I like sports. This is why I find the World Series, the NBA Finals, the NCAA Championships, golf tournaments, etc. enjoyable to watch. I have also played these sports so that may add to the enjoyment.

To watch Derek Jeter leap in the air, catch the ball, turn in midair and throw the runner out at first is like ballet to me. Best of all it is spontaneous choreography.

As for being staged, the attraction is that these events are not staged in the least -- they are the original reality programming. One might have wanted Pedro Martinez to recover his old magic and pitch 7 superb innings, but there were 9 Cardinals in his way. The drama was in each successive at-bat, wondering who would prevail -- Pedro or the batter?

As for the love of celebrities -- is it any different than the resurgent positive feelings toward Stalin in Russia? Maybe human beings like to have leaders/celebrities to look up to. Maybe our tendency to want alpha females/males is part of who we are, and the way we express it now is through the creation of celebrities.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister