[lbo-talk] Re: Tariq Ali Endorses Kerry

Brad Mayer gaikokugo at fusionbb.net
Fri Oct 29 21:51:38 PDT 2004

Profound cynicism aside - and there is another corner of the Left that indulges in such - this calculus reveals precisely the crackpot side of "realism": a desperate high stakes riverboat gamble that Kerry doesn't mean what he says.

Of course "anything" is possible. If so, though, Kerry will more likely (yes, it is also possible Kerry could get away with it, but then you are really hoping the camel makes it through the eye of the needle!) end up a one-term President blamed for losing Iraq in a damaging defeat in a strategic part of the world, while Doug and his side of the Left rally to their new-found hero. I couldn't think of a worse recipe for a political debacle.

Bush, OTOH, is more likely to extricate himself from Iraq, but only to declare victory and then attack the next country on the list.

But, regardless of what Kerry does, the bottom line is this: won't the Democrats remain the lesser evil after a Presidential victory, and therefore (as N. Newman would surely remind us) demand the "big name" Left's continuing support regardless?

Or is having a Big Name just a license to say whatever the fuck you want whenever you want to?

-Brad Mayer
> And Doug's point, meanwhile, isn't that the DP won't remain a turd. It
> will. But how do you know which course of events will unfold? Are you
> 100
> percent sure Kerry will continue the occupation? What if he's lying to
> get
> elected? What if he does appoint Biden to be a special ME envoy and Biden
> forces some sanity on Israel? Not likely, of course, but not impossible.
> And what's wrong with giving Kerry the LBJ treatment in 2008, if things
> aren't better?

So you should vote for Kerry in the hope that he may be lying? But what if Bush is lying, and really thinking about how to get out of the Mesopotamian mire?