[lbo-talk] Re: Derrida Was No Aristotle

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 30 07:41:00 PDT 2004

Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> it
> looks to me as if aristotle's approach included the use of slightly
> awkward phrasings that could not easily be confused with ordinary,
> everyday speech, and so also were not easily reducible to people's
> preconceptions about what a word like, for example, "eidos" means.

I had wondered why posters were complaining about "the this." I suspect that any "less weird" equivalent would be a full paragraph in length -- & then not very clear. We talk about "this" as much as we talk about anything, and the phrase certainly dramatizes that there may be questions about what makes "a this" a this rather than "a that."

Carrol