[lbo-talk] Re: Derrida Was No Aristotle

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 30 07:51:24 PDT 2004

--- Jeffrey Fisher <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com> wrote: i agree with your point below about translation (that literal word-for-word rendering is not the job of the translator, etc.), but i wonder why you think aristotle's use of language made any more "sense" to his students than they do to us.

---

This was what I was saying. The violence Aristotle does to Greek is considerable. "Entelechia" is a case in point -- "holding-in-the-goal." That just ain't Greek. Like I said before, it's very close to what Heidegger does with German. A good translation should capture that IMHO. Otherwise it's like translating Finnegans Wake and making it fit the rules of grammar.

===== Nu, zayats, pogodi!