[lbo-talk] Tariq Ali endorses Kerry, denounces Nader

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 30 10:52:59 PDT 2004

uvj at vsnl.com wrote:

>While I don't have a definite opinion on Kerry/Bush contest and on
>voting in that election, it's my impression that Kerry's programme
>on some domestic US issues such as death penalty, abortion, gay
>rights, progressive taxation etc. is considerably different from
>Bush programme. If that's the case, why it's being frequently
>asserted that there isn't much programmatic difference between the
>two?

The domestic agenda is quite different on the kinds of issues you list. A second Bush admin would almost certainly try to eliminate taxes on capital income, allow the real value of the minimum wage to erode, push legislation hostile to unions, privatize Social Security, etc. A Kerry admin would take opposite positions.

>Is it the case that the US Left accross the entire spectrum is
>primarily influenced by foreign policy issues?

Curiously, that branch of the U.S. left is absolutely indifferent to foreign support for Bush's defeat and Kerry's victory. The ineffable Proyect has declared that he doesn't care that most Cubans - not ot mention most other Latin Americans - want to see Kerry win. Solidarity apparently has its limits. Tariq Ali's was right to admonish the American left for emulating its imperial leaders and caring only about its own interests.

Doug