[lbo-talk] anti-fascist agitation

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Sep 1 10:56:33 PDT 2004

> CB: You don't seem to be quite as knowledgeable as you say about the W
> Republic. The issue of the split between Communists and Social Dems is
> well discussed in the examination of the history of that period and
place.
> In fact, it is analogous to the ongoing debate here about whether to
support
> the Democratic Party. The Soc Dems were like Dems.

Worse. Friedrich Ebert practically ordered the assassination of Rosa Luexmburg and Karl Liebknecht. It would be like JFK ordering the assassination of MLK - the Dems did not fall that low.

Another point - perhaps the main reason that German fascism appears to many more vicious than the US fascism is the skin color and social class of the victims. The Nazis targeted middle class, educated white folks, while their US brethren victimized mostly dark-skinned, uneducated people.

Ulhas:
> I don't know what the US business would gain by fascism that it
wouldn't able to obtain by usual liberal democratic process. Fascism is usually a very high risk political option.

Good point. The fact that the US business can get most of what it wants through liberal democratic process is probably one of the main reasons why the US has not yet become fascist. The point is, however, that their appetites are growing as they get what they want. Eventually, they may want more than the liberal democratic system can deliver (e.g. a totally tax free ride, doing away with all social and environmental programs, labor laws, minimum wage, waging war at will, etc.) - and that will make the fascist option more attractive to them. Things have been consistently creeping in that direction lately.

Wojtek