[lbo-talk] David Brooks: sad, lonely, pathetic

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 1 14:28:34 PDT 2004

Doug quotes:

> Brooks is a tad sensitive about his
> Stakhanovite literary output.

This is the second hard-left reference I've seen regarding Brooks in the course of a day. A friend of mine was telling me that he watched Brooks on McNeil-Lehrer last night, and that Brooks was outraged that most members of the public didn't know that many of the demonstrators at the RNC were Maoists and "members of the Spartacist League." Now, the first instinct of people on this list is to laugh at how empirically untrue this is (I mean, how many Sparts are there, anyway?) but can you imagine what most listeners were thinking when they heard Brooks talk about the Sparts? They probably thought it was a reference to the Olympics. Similarly, who the fuck other than us knows what a Stakhanovite is?

- - - - - John Lacny http://www.johnlacny.com

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!