[lbo-talk] MoveOn v. Bush

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 2 13:58:02 PDT 2004

Michael Perelman asks:

> Nathan, you are one of the sharpest Kerry defenders
> that I know. Please tell me how he can run such a
> poor campaign?

I'm not as knowledgeable an observer of these things as Nathan is, but I will chime in with my two cents. I certainly have my complaints about Kerry's campaign and especially about his politics. Nor am I as confident as Nathan is in final victory. But the course of events over the last month should not have taken anyone by surprise. It's been well-understood for a while that Kerry is saving money this month so that he can go head-to-head with Bush as election day draws closer. Remember that there's before-primary and after-primary money, and the Democratic Convention was a month earlier than the Republicans' which basically gave Bush this month in terms of ads and stuff. Everyone knew that Bush would go ultra- negative, and he has. If it hadn't been the swift-boat bullshit, it would have been something else.

What the polls are saying now is not terribly different from what they've been saying all along: the election is close. There was a slight tick in Bush's favor over the past month. Whatever. The real story is that it's close. So I will say for the umpteenth time that if you actually care about administering a defeat to this regime, you should get up and go do something about it. Speaking of which, I'm about to do just that. Thousands of union members are talking to other union members tonight about the election in all of the swing states.

- - - - - John Lacny http://www.johnlacny.com

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!