[lbo-talk] Re: chomsky ipse loquitur

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Thu Sep 2 14:42:25 PDT 2004

>From earliest childhood, as soon as the parents sit their kids down in front
of the television to watch Sesame Street and take them on day trips across the border, Canadians spend the rest of their lives -- without much success -- trying to somehow distinguish themselves from Americans, rationalizing the country's separate existence. We're already a pretty much a single economic unit, especially since NAFTA, and our exporters would love to go the next step to a common currency. The Canadian military is similarly integrated through NORAD. Politically, Canada is allowed a little independence, as in case of Iraq, the better to serve as a pacifist running dog of US imperialism when the White House decides a mediator or peacekeeping force is needed somewhere. If it weren't for medicare and pride in Team Canada (hockey) and the ubiquitous use of eh?, there'd be little to justify the country's continued existence -- Quebec excluded, of course, since it does have a distinctive language and culture.

The real geographic, economic, and cultural fault lines in North America run north-south rather than east-west. So the Maritimes are like New England, Ontario like the industrial northeast, the Prairie provinces like the Midwest, and BC like the US northwest. Oil-rich Alberta is not continguous to Texas, but otherwise has more in common with it than with the other provinces. The only reason Canada exists, as I'm sure you all know from your history, is because the reactionary loyalists fled to it for refuge and the powerful Montreal merchant class wanted to retain the British connection in order to extend their so-called Empire of the St Lawrence westward into the great heart of the continent, against the New York- and Boston- based bourgeoisie to the south. They did move progressively westward with the development of the fur, timber, wheat, and minerals trade, but were held above the 49th parallel, and political union followed in 1967. The Montreal merchants actually dominated the growing trade west of the Alleghanies and d own the Mississippi until 1783 and were poised to move into the US Midwest and beyond, when the British,so they felt, sold them out by ceding control of the West to the Americans after the War of Independence. Had that not happened, the New York Yankees would have become the small-market farm team of the Montreal Expos rather than vice-versa.

I've always felt it would make good political sense for the Democrats to call for an invasion of Canada. Not only would it prove their bona fides as muscular imperialists to doubting swing voters, but it would result in a permanent Democratic dictatorship in the US (although not the kind envisioned by Lenin) since the more politically liberal Canadians overwhelmingly favour the DP. A 2000 survey of Canadians showed even a slight majority of the right-wing Reform party (now again called the Conservative party) favoured Gore over Bush. Alternatively, the liberal northern states could turn the tables this time and secede from the south, and together we could form a more perfect union. Think about it.

MG

----- Original Message ----- From: "paul childs" <npchilds at shaw.ca> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 3:32 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: chomsky ipse loquitur

> > slightly): "Well yeah, but I'm Canadian, so I don't really care about
> > those."
> >In fairness to NK, she may not be aware of the close economic ties
between
> >the two countries.
>
> Mebbe, but that would make her one of the few Canadians unaware of the
ties (it's usually the other way 'round, Americans thinking their biggest trading partner is Japan, China or Mexico), and frankly it would mark her as sort of a dunce in the punditry classes.

> That trade relationship is usually the a given and the point of departure
in discussion of our trade policies.