[lbo-talk] Re: biz ethics/slavery/groups/constitutional

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 03:05:32 PDT 2004

--- andie nachgeborenen I don't know that much anthropology, but I also don't know of any tribal/aboriginal society that aspires to anything like the degree of human freedom and dignity embodied in liberal ideals. (And rarely realized even in part even in those.) It would be surprising if they did, those aspirations being a late development of a highly articulated modern society. I would be happy to hear counterexamples, but it is only a matter of academic interest. Stone-age social organization is not a real possibility for us short of atomic or ecological catastrophe.

--- Justin, I'm on your side in this, but I think EVERY society has striven for freedom and dignity, as those concepts were understood by whatever group was in power at the time.