[lbo-talk] Bush as sex fantasy

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 09:05:14 PDT 2004

What about male subordinate sexual fantasies and practices? Of the two great classic literary works of BDSM, Story of O is obviously female subordinate, but Venus in Furs is male subordinate. And male subordination is not uncommon among kinky people, as the minor service occupation of dominatrixes shows. I do not know about the statistics, but I bet there are a lot more male subs than there are female subs, and a lot more male subs than there are male doms, at least outside the gay leather community. There's an interesting book, no literary gem but psychologically honest, called the 43rd Mistress by Grant Antrews (I think that is his name), from a first person hetero male sub perspective. Likewise Ann Rice's Sleeping Beauty books, though focused on a female sub, involve a lot of male subs as major and minor characters.

My point is that while kinky sex fantasies and activities often involve fantasies of domination and subordination and games that in some way reflect images of class and gender structure -- and by the way a staright blowjob like Monica gave Bill does not even begin to count as kinky sex; indeed, according to some, not just Bill, it's not sex at all, which is silliness, of course, it's sex, but utterly vanilla -- the libido is far more devious and complicated than is suggested by the idea that BDSM just mirrors existing class and gender subordination, putting straight white men on top. Antrews theorizes that it's precisely the fact that straight (white?) men find themselves in positions where they are on top but very confined in their emotions that requires them to seek release in being BDSM subs. Jean Genet's play The Balcony explores this idea as well.

Jon Johanning <jjohanning at igc.org> wrote: On Sep 2, 2004, at 5:36 PM, Mike Ballard wrote:

> And a lot of sexual fantasies are part of the
> psychology of lordship and bondage power rituals which
> are the leitmotif of class society. Remember Monica
> on her knees. Would these fantasies be taking place
> about these men if they didn't appear to possess
> power, a power which could somehow be shared by an
> obediant supplicant?

That's part of it, but I think Nancy Friday's take on sexual fantasies, both female and male, has something to contribute too.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile